Living with other people can often present a number of issues and frustrations. Luckily there are a number of proven methods that can be used to ensure that you and your roommates won’t constantly be at each other’s throats. Check out our top 5 tips for peacefully living with others:
1. Agree on Terms and Set Ground Rules: One of the first things you should do before living with roommates is establish some ground rules that you all can follow. Have a conversation about living habits, divvy up chores or make a chart to keep track, talk about each other’s preferences and ideal living situation so that you both can develop a better idea of how you can all coexist, and begin to create a rapport.
2. Get to Know Each Other’s Schedule: Being considerate of each other’s schedule can go a long way in terms of preventing conflict. If you are a night owl and your roommate is an early bird, be sure to not make noise late when they are trying to sleep. Likewise, if you are a morning person and they work late, be sure to not make as much noise in the morning.
3. Communication is Key: The most important tool for having a successful relationship with roommates is communication. Respect each other’s needs and preferences. Don’t assume your roommate knows your style and habits and don’t assume theirs. If you are having friends over or if you are going to be getting home later than normal, give your roommates a heads up. Talking about these topics with one another can help prevent problems down the road. Address issues early in a respectful way to prevent them from building over time.
4. Remember to Hang Out: Remember that your roommates are people too and not just a portion of your monthly rent. While you don’t have to be best friends with the people you live with, taking an interest in their lives and hobbies could help to build a stronger relationship between you all.
5. Keep an Open Mind and Be Considerate: Be sure to remember that your roommates might not be the same as you. They could come from different backgrounds and cultures and they might have different tastes or beliefs. Always be considerate and respectful of this and your roommates are sure to do the same.
Many challenges and problems that arise from living with other people can easily be avoided by taking some of the measures mentioned above. These tips can help you with adjusting to having roommates. Be sure to check back on Rent-One for more great tips and events near you!