The holidays will soon be upon us and while this is a wonderful time of the year, we wanted to remind our residents that theft and fire-related incidents tend to rise throughout November. The days will be shorter and it will be dark earlier, making us all more vulnerable to theft and other holiday mishaps.
We can never be too careful, too prepared, or too aware. Following these safety tips can help keep you safe this holiday season:
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Keep your car doors locked and don’t leave any valuables or belongings in your car.
• Don’t leave your vehicle unoccupied with the motor running, even if it is just for a short amount of time.
• Be sure to always lock your apartment doors and windows when you leave, even if it is only for a short time.
• Don’t hide your keys outside of your home.
• Use timers when cooking and routinely check to make sure your food is not burning.
• Do not place turkey drippings or meat fats down the sink or toilet, as it will clog the drains. Please discard these items in the trash.
• Avoid wearing dangling accessories or loose clothing when cooking.
• Keep children away from hot stoves and always use pot holders.
• Grease fires from turkey or meat dishes can spread quickly. Keep a small fire extinguisher or baking soda on hand when cooking meals this holiday.
• Be sure to check your smoke detectors.
• Use reflective tape on bikes when riding at night.
• Report any suspicious behavior or activity to the proper authorities.
We wish you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!