While it may not be the first thing on everyone’s mind, it is never a bad idea to make sure that you are prepared in the event of an earthquake. Earthquakes are sudden, frightening, and have the potential to do a lot of damage. Luckily, there are some key tips and steps to ensure that we are well-equipped to handle earthquakes if needed.
Top 7 Tips for Earthquake Safety:
1. Have a plan beforehand. Talk with housemates, neighbors, or family members about what to do during an earthquake. Make sure you all know the best safety tips.
2. Have an emergency kit readily available in the event that you are prevented from leaving your home after an earthquake. Bottled water, canned food, a can opener, and a flashlight are some essential items that can be helpful in these circumstances. Be sure to have emergency contact numbers saved in your phone if needed.
3. Try to place larger and heavier items on lower shelves. Store glass items and bottles on lower shelves or stored securely in cabinets.
4. During an earthquake, look to get under a piece of sturdy furniture. Hold on and wait it out.
5. If you can’t find any sturdy furniture, get in a corner and cover your face and head with your arms.
6. Stay away from windows to avoid any broken glass.
7. Renter’s Insurance is a great way to prepare for the damages that an earthquake can cause. It’s easy to get, affordable, and can offer piece of mind that your possessions are accounted for.
We should always take it upon ourselves to be prepared for earthquakes before they hit. These safety tips are a great way to be ready and keep safe! Be sure to check back on Rent-One for more helpful tips.